Friday, December 28, 2012

Yeti's Indie Spotlight: Pokemon 3D.


Now come on: I don't have to write what Pokemon is, right? Everyone will know a pokeball when they see one. Most people at least heard about Pikachu, or Ash. And one thing is sure: every gamer has at least heard about the Pokemon games for every Nintendo console. Pokemon Red, Green, Gold, Sapphire, Stadium... At least some of them.

And because of that, I think all of us should get some info on this indie game. Made by an 18 year old guy. And it's a starting point for a Pokemon trainer's dream: Pokemon 3D

IN CASE IN NOT LIKING TO READ, skip to tl;dr

FOR AN MORE "UP TO DATE" VERSION CLICK HERE: Yeti o Grach - Pokemon 3D


Pokemon 3D Main Menu

The easiest way to describe this game is an FPP adaptation of Pokemon Gold and Silver for PC. You can see that from the first couple seconds of gameplay. A majority (if not all) of the gameplay is taken straight from the original Pokemon games. However, that is not an con. The same mechanics, with some tweaks, are the workhorse of Pokemon games since 1998.

When you click new game, you get the classical question: "What is your name?" asks Professor Oak, the introducing character from Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow. WAIT, WAIT, WHAT? Should there be someone else there? To be honest, I thought it should be Professor Elm in here, but I am not 100% sure after these few years I played Pokemon Silver/Gold.

But enough of my writing, first see some in-game action on the gameplay below. BE WARNED, IT'S QUITE LONG.


At first we entered Professor Elm's Lab, to get a Pokemon. I have not paid much attention to that, because my first pick was decided from the start. I was somewhat surprised the starters were chosen from the previous Pokemon  but... whatever, they are still awesome. After that, we can go out, after we get a Potion from Elm's assistant. Now we can get out the town and fight some Pokemon. As you can see, the mechanic is 100% turn based, same is in the original. After a while of logistic thinking (the game is MUCH harder this way, you can get lost quite easily. Also, we see a quite classic screen when my Charmander fainted. After getting teleported back to home, I start my journey anew, this time with much more success. (P.S: how the heck it got snowing so soon?). At the town itself you get a slight tour by an old timer, and have a chance to visit the Pokemon Center. This time, you don't risk pressing the "A" button one time too much :)

You probably saw more then is needed to get a first impression. As for me, it's an newly mined gem. And Nilllzz is making a great job trying to polish it to a high gloss. He posts frequent updates on his tumblr page.
Other than that, you can always watch my blog, I am going to inform you of all significant changes to the game. Mostly because I believe it can become a legend among Pokemon players. Someone finally took up the challenge to make an 3D game about training and battling with Pokemon. I am really surprised that it wasn't Nintendo's doing. But, seeing the results, and that this is still a VERY EARLY beta, we can't complain. We can even get happy with this :)

tl;dr : The game now is quite playable. More than enjoyable for any Pokemon fan. And it gets better in regular basis. If you like to play something new, than it's more than worth giving a shot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment